Sunday, July 23, 2006

i wish i had a lawnmower.

Two easily agreeable truths: Lady In The Water is better than The Village and Clerks II is better than Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.
The inspiration to today's brief post is the first few minutes of Kevin Smith's Clerks II, which I very much enjoyed. It had enough of the intellectual juvenile-sounding monologue exchanging that Smith has all but trademarked and was quite a touching buddy movie. The bottom line is that Randal and Dante are two characters whom I've loved and will continue to love whether or not we see them in another 12 years.
It shouldn't be a spoiler that the Quik Stop burns down (within the first thirty seconds of the film), immediately following this, under the opening credits, is the exquisitely appropriate "(Nothing But) Flowers" by Talking Heads. Talk about wasting no time to win me over.
I just wanted to share with you just a few of my favorite Talking Heads songs. I know that their albums have just been reissued as dual discs and a box set was released as well, but I'm happy with my old one-sided discs.



Talking Heads' "(Nothing But) Flowers"
"Psycho Killer"
"Heaven"
"Once In A Lifetime"
"Burning Down The House"


I recognize that these are some of the most Talking Heads songs and it may be hipper to tell you that my favorites are the more obscure tracks. Oh well. Maybe you can point me towards your favorite Heads songs or even (and I prefer) covers. And let me add that if you haven't seen (or don't own) Stop Making Sense, the Talking Heads concert film by Jonathan Demme, then you have not experienced Talking Heads, and if that's the case then you have a big chunk of life missing from your existence.

And what is life like during wartime? I can tell you that it involves a lot of running men.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home