Sunday, July 09, 2006

ain't nobody's troubles like mine.

My introduction to Flameshovel was when a good friend told me about this new EP from the Joan of Arc family tree (namely including Tim Kinsella). He got us both copies of Make Believe's debut EP and I was subsequently baffled, and somehow even more turned on to the off-beat world of Tim Kinsella. More started trickling out of this new (to me) label that got my attention. Chin Up Chin Up's debut full-length got more attention than just mine. When they announced their intent to release Maritime's second album, all heads should have realistically been facing them. While there are still a few artists on the roster that I haven't found much use for, I still believe that a couple bands deserve far more attention than I have seen them receive. And this sentence will be the only mention Russian Circles gets as they simply fall into the not-for-me category.
Find out more about both the strangely accessible calm/frantic Bound Stems and country-tinged atmospheric rockers Low Skies, including why I sound ignorant in implying that they receive very little attention, on Flameshovel's website. Hey, one band includes a former member of Harvey Danger (Just try not to sing "Flagpole Sitta" right now) and one has welcomed guest vocalist Kelly Hogan (NOT Hulk's daughter, Brooke Hogan).
Be advised: Bound Stems will be releasing a full-length through Flameshovel in September. Look out.



Bound Stems' "Wake Up, Ma and Pa are Gone"
from The Logic of Building the Body Plan EP

Low Skies' "You Can't Help Those People"
from All The Love I Could Find


NOTE: If you did not click the link attributed to Brooke Hogan, here is your second chance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home