Saturday, August 12, 2006

the music meant something to someone.

I'm doing my best to get back to normal. I've also been listening to a lot of the new Owen album. I'm very pleased.
I don't have any intentions of sharing anything that Polyvinyl doesn't first approve, but I would be glad to lead you to a very good recording of Mike Kinsella's Philadelphia performance in February. He played four of the new songs that night and if you missed hearing them in person, this is a great way to be introduced to the new material.
One of the most unique properties of being a fan of Mike's music is that the same way it's refreshing to hear his new material flourish on his albums, it's equally refreshing to hear him pour them onto the stage with only his guitar and a modicum of enthusiasm.
At Home With Owen marks a new chapter in Mike's life; one where he seems to resent having to keep playing music to support his lifestyle and new home and wife. That may be at least partially true, but we know better. He still lights up in front of a polite audience and loves to have the attention given to his occasionally funny jokes. Even when his jokes aren't completely fleshed out or he gives up on playing a song halfway through, he continues.

Owen's performance on February Fifth, 2006 at The North Star Bar in Philadelphia

"Who Found Who's Hair in Who's Bed?"
"Bag of Bones"
"In the Morning, Before Work"
"I Woke Up Today"
"The Sad Waltzes of Pietro Crespi"
"I'm Not Seventeen"
"Windows and Doorways"
"Bad News"
"Breaking Away"



Also, I keep feeling surprised with how much I like Mike's cover of The Velvet Underground + Nico's "Femme Fatale."

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill M. said...

Thank you very much for this show! I saw him play that night and think you're right; it is a great introduction to the material on his forthcoming disc. Thanks again!

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home