Saturday, May 27, 2006

you wouldn't have thought it was the middle of spring.

Really, after 2005's Illinois, it had to be expected that 2006 would be a big year for Asthmatic Kitty. Having already released an unstoppable Half-handed Cloud album, a long-lost Marzuki-surrounded Shannon Stephens album, a Castanet/Illinoise-maker solo album from Belltower, and an epic compilation. I've already mentioned that the balance of the year still holds releases from My Brightest Diamond, Shapes & Sizes, and the Illinois B-Sides The Avalanche, which just may sell a few copies. Also slated for release this year is the label debut from Chris Cohen's The Curtains.
After several albums and changes in line-ups, The Curtains' Calamity was recorded entirely by Cohen. But in adding guest performers and harmonies, the new Curtains four member cast list was born.
I feel compelled to tell you, however, that this is where my interest is at it's peak.
It's new Curtains member Nedelle Torrisi that appeals to me most (due to a perfectly timed recommendation). Nedelle has released three albums (two on Kill Rock Stars), and of her most recent album it was said, "From the Lion's Mouth is a compassionate coo that cuddles your ear like a warm whisper."
The Curtains' Calamity will be released in the Fall. Nedelle is recording her next album for release in early '07. More Curtains on MySpace. More Nedelle on MySpace.

The Curtains' "World's Most Dangerous Woman"
from Calamity



Nedelle's The Natural Night"
& "Begin To Breathe"
from From the Lion's Mouth


I should mention that Chris Cohen is formerly of Deerhoof. That may reel you in if you are a fan of Deerhoof. I myself am not. Hence, the mention is a guilt-driven addendum.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That WAS pretty well timed, wasn't it?

1:21 PM  
Blogger Listen Well said...

I had a Curtains post on my list of things to do in the near future, but it was the path to nedelle (of which you led me to) that bumped it up. thank you, sir.

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home