Saturday, May 20, 2006

behind my game boy i got game, girl.

I've got to be honest. I only had a passing interested in Spank Rock until driving forty minutes to buy YoYoYoYoYoYo for $2.50. I put it in for the drive home and immediately turned it up louder than I've been compelled to listen to most albums since the drums kick in on Bloc Party's "Like Eating Glass." Spank Rock annihilates. With hip-hop, it tends to come down to production with me. Voice, flow, and message are important, but I just won't be as drawn in without production that gets me going. Xxxchange does impeccable work on this humorous, clever, catchy and innovative album. Gnarls Barkley (and I love St. Elsewhere) is the foreplay to Spank Rock's nitty-gritty sweat-fest with YoYoYoYoYoYo. I just hope you can handle it.
It's Saturday morning and I have several things to do before heading to Cedar Point. So, if ever there was a reason to burn a CD, it's to have some Spank Rock material where you can crank it. Or maybe you just have better computer speakers than I do.
In case you're curious, read up on the long list of work Rick Rubin has been associated with.



Spank Rock's "Backyard Betty"
"What It Look Like"
& "Rick Rubin"
from YoYoYoYoYoYo

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also freakin' love St. Elsewhere. And spankrock is also fantastic.

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home