Sunday, April 16, 2006

so the shower just leaks a little bit.

Without doing any research on the following statement I'm declaring that Easter weekend is one of the busiest travel weekends of the year. And while traveling brings many things to mind (secondmost that I am not), first and foremost is The Travelin' Limbeck Band. Two years, one month and one day ago was a pretty special day. With the accompaniment of several new and fantastic friends I drove to Columbus and back one evening to see four bands. I'm proud to announce two of them: Hey Mercedes & Limbeck. You remember. That was the month that The Darkness' "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" was not only tolerable, but enjoyable and rockoutable. This was Hey Mercedes 25th to last show, and my first with them. It was also Limbeck's 25,000th to last show - again, my first.
At the time, Limbeck had recently released Hi, Everything's Great, their clean-slate debut as an alt-country-pop-rock outfit playing songs about a never-ending road trip across these great states. The following year (2004) they released Hey, Everything's Fine, which was essentially a recording party with several friends joining in the live playing of all the Great songs. It worked unbelievably well. The Old 97's/Ryan Adams/Big Star lovin' boys are just starting to wind down for a spell after even more touring supporting their latest, Let Me Come Home, a collection of more polished country rock songs.
It's time to start associating memories in terms of Limbeck songs. It's time to walk around whistling Limbeck tunes weeks after having listened to them. It's time to be glad Limbeck are in your life and will inevitably knock on your door every few months. It's time for fresh warm homemade chocolate chip cookies. It's time for Limbeck.
Look at Limbeck's fun website! Listen at their descriptive MySpace!
It's Sunday, yesterday's post was brief and I'm admittedly going overboard. It's like a Spotlight.



Limbeck's "Honk + Wave"
"Silver Things"
from Hi, Everything's Great

Limbeck's "Julia"
& "I Wrote This Down"
from Hey, Everything's Fine

Limbeck's "People Don't Change"
"Sin City"
& "Names For Dogs"
from Let Me Come Home


You may ask yourself how a band starts out with so many tour inspired songs, wondering what they played originally while touring and writing those songs. I know I did. Also, why did I call Hi, Everything's Great their "clean-slate debut?" In 2001, Limbeck released This Chapter Is Called Titles. It's rockier in both possible senses I would use the word. Hell, I'm ordering it and should have it soon, to say for sure. I don't anticipate the greatness now inherent with Limbeck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home