Monday, April 10, 2006

LBJ-001 (Monday)

I enjoy themes. When bands are able to pull off a concept album. When record labels put out a series of similar (be it cover art, content, etc.) releases, or when a blogger maintains a series of posts that go together. Might I suggest the comprehensive and Sufjanesque tribute to all fifty states at Trees Lounge?
With the rambling I did yesterday and my thoughts at last night's show, I've decided to dedicate a week to a cause that I would generally balk at, and I would fully expect balking from others. However, I stand by my idea and will see it through. Thus, I present to you...


DAY ONE
Don't assume that this will be a history lesson or a Conor Oberst shrine. If you want that, then Spend an Evening With Saddle Creek. I'm just going to provide what I feel is some of the best music that has been released in SC's recent history. These are my favorites and most of which are evidence that you don't just have to be a "scene" kid who worships Bright Eyes and denounces his new material to appreciate some great material released by this label.
I'll begin with a label mainstay who has only recently released any solo material. Maria Taylor has played in the expansive Bright Eyes collective, works with Orenda Fink in the duet of Azure Ray and in the quintet of Now It's Overhead, along with Andy LeMaster. But her solo material, as originally presented nearly one year ago in the form of her ten track debut, 11:11, has a more personal feel, as well as a slightly more electronic foundation. These are folky dance-pop songs perfect for the optimist prone to heartache and subsequently; recovery.
Her live show relies much less on the electronic backbeat, and instead finds her playing her strengths with several friends beside her, playing rock songs gently as a full band. Both formats are supportive of her smooth and heartwrenchingly dead-on lyrics and style. Truly, these are mellow pop songs that would never seem so out of place on an adult contemporary radio station (that you're forced to listen to at work) or VH1. Silently, we'll keep hoping she remains our secret love.
On a side note, I rarely have so much trouble selecting songs from albums to present, as they all epitomise the album perfectly. As I tend to do, I went with the opener as well as her (with band in tow) strongest live song (and most appropriate, given my workplace). Two more are available on her Saddle Creek maintained MySpace.
As a sort of segue, I'm also sharing Maria's duet with Andy LeMaster on the recent Hurricane Katrina support release, Lagniappe.


Maria Taylor's "Leap Year"
& "Xanax"
from 11:11 (LBJ-74)

Maria Taylor & Andy LeMaster's "Breathe"
from Lagniappe (LBJ-87)


Did you know?: Saddle Creek's (or Lumberjack Records') fourth ever release was by a band named Smashmouth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home