Sunday, April 09, 2006

"go away." don't tell me that.

Sometimes on Sundays I don't end up getting out of the house until 4PM, if I get out at all. Today is one of the first. But I am going to see Mates of State with Maria Taylor tonight. How could that not make up for it? I'm hoping a few things happen. The MoS give me evidence that Bring It Back is better than I initially felt it was. I imagine the two hunched close together playing the keys, drums and singing their hearts and throats out. Live shows and three albums have given that ideal, but I don't think the new album does. But I am truthfully excited to find a bond with some of these songs at the show. Maria Taylor (half of Azure Ray and one fifth of Now It's Overhead) will me spectacular, I've assured myself. Her solo debut, 11:11, made a believer of me. It's that album's existence alone that forced me to give Azure Ray a second chance, through which I felt disappointed for having not had more faith in the girls to begin with. Orenda Fink's solo debut, Invisible Ones, too is quite good. I anticipate this short but dull babbling segment will influence a near-future post.
The point I had when I began was that I've been couped up all day and it looks remarkable outside. I'm sure it's not as warm as the sun and blue sky makes it appear. That's why I've stayed in and imagined that it's Summer.
Now, for the task. Make almost everything I've said come together with my actual music post and have it appear a lot less like rambling.
Mates of State grabbed ahold of my music-loving heart during the summertime. They're playing tonight with Maria Taylor, whose best musical contribution (in my humble opinion) is playing in Now It's Overhead, whose frontman is Andy LeMaster, who recorded, mixed and programmed drums for Brad Curtis Tyson's Summerbirds in the Cellar on the album With the Hands of the Hunter It All Becomes Dead. Here's the stretch... Summerbirds in the Cellar sits, in my CD collection, next to Summer Hymns' Clemency, both of which made their way into my CD player on this great looking day.
Summer Hymns, by the way, is on Misra alongside Great Lake Swimmers, Flotation Toy Warning, Destroyer, and - most stylistically similar - Phosphorescent.
The fact is that I'm sorry you just read all that. In fact, go read my One AM Radio post again. They all can't be winners.



Summerbirds in the Cellar's "Beware of False Prophets"
& "Ghosttown"
from With the Hands of the Hunter It All Becomes Dead

Summer Hymns' "Be Anywhere"
& "Feeling In Rafters"
from Clemency

If your name is Ashley or you are me; start with and end on Summer Hymns' stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home