Monday, May 29, 2006

i got nothing to say but the things i know.

In taking the time to consider each impetus for decisions or events that have lead me to where I am in several aspects, I've found remarkable the small moments that shape so much. I worked at a record store about two years ago alongside some pretty great people and an eventual great friend. After just a couple months of working there, at a pharmacy and taking classes, I was offered a promotion at the pharmacy. The hours (and pay raise) dictated that I leave the record shop. I even stopped taking classes for the time being. It's presently still the time being and I'm faced with the bizarre notion that the lower-paying job at the used record/movie/game store was better suited for me. It's a discernment that is arguable and potentially out of line, but i's almost unshakable for the moment. And do you know why?
As five CDs were being selected for the random rotation for the day, I brought Phoenix's Alphabetical up, and no one had heard of the Lost In Translation (Sophia Coppola's Bill Murray & Scarlett Johansson masterpiece) featured French pop rock band. Towards the end of the day, the manager (who I look very much up to) shrugged off the album and asked if it was some sort of boy band. I was very impressionable and hadn't grown into myself around the crew and kind of walked away, dejected. The poppy, catchy qualities of Alphabetical that had drawn me to it were apparently some sort of inherent flaw. Of course I recognize now the ego involved with most record store employees (Kevin and Melanie are of a different breed), and am confident in my tastes. I'm sure my head would be eleven times bigger than it already is had I stayed there.
It was a mediocre job with many aspects that made up for that fact. Maybe I shouldn't have shrugged it off so quickly. Maybe it was the right decision. Phoenix are much better than mediocre. They're much better than average. I've heard that their live shows are stunning, and the albums are getting there. It may be easy for you to shrug off Phoenix, given the fairly straight-forward nature of the new album, It's Never Been Like That. But occasionally intentions are better carried on the sleeve of the hand strumming the pop hooks and albums are better when written and recorded quickly. These boys are radio friendly, that much is clear. But you may just find that there's more to what's obvious , and that's what you enjoy the most.



Phoenix's "Rally"
from It's Never Been Like That


While everyone I know would find this album through it's U.S. Atralwerks distribution, I am under the distinct impression that (Broken Social Scene's) Arts & Crafts will be releasing the album in Canada. I think this is very cool, but slightly odd and quite unexpected. I can only hope they'll alter the artwork to match the rest of the label's releases.

I got my hands on some great releases a little ahead of schedule today and you should look very much forward to this week on no one is awake.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i saw phoenix a few weeks ago on their short stint here in the u.s. they were awesome live, despite the fact that they didn't play "too young".. my favorite. it's amazing that the singer can sing in perfect english, cause when he spoke in between shows, he sounded like every other french dude witha thick accent that knows just barely enough english to get by. weird.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home