Tuesday, March 14, 2006

...two, three, four!

Sorry about the lack of new posts, however I'm sure you enjoyed the newest Digital Short. Lorne Michaels may have a few more tricks up his sleeve afterall. His new show "Sons may shape up nicely as well.
In any case, Sunday was new-music-filled. I emptied my wallet at Music Saves (and traded up some at The Exchange), and as soon as my work schedule isn't ridiculously demanding and I've got some time, I'll get to listen to everything. I am very very excited for all of it though. What do you have to look forward to? The unknown, faithful reader, the unknown. I'll do my damnedest to reveal all my secrets this week. And this Sunday's wrap-up will have to make up for the lackthereof this week. Ooh, Lackthereof. In other loose-ends talk, Aesop Rock signed on to the Pitchfork Good-Times-Gallore-Festivities! Here we go...

It's Tuesday and I feel bad about my silence on Monday, so I present to you the Tuesday Spotlight! First, a quiz:

1. Where does a bulk of the music I seem to enjoy originate from (hint: July's destination)?
(a) Norway
(b) Norfolk
(c) Norwalk
(d) Chicago

2. Most of said music tends not to be on Adult Contemporary Radio; It's more-obscure or less-mainstream. This music can be classified as...
(a) Bi-curious
(b) Wanton
(c) As disappointing as Bill Murray in "Garfield: The Movie"
(d) Underground

Finally , a three-parter
3. Batman & Robin are the "Dynamic ___;" the Musketeers were a ____; red and white striped male singers lend their voices to a Barbershop _______.
(a) Duo
(b) Trio
(c) Quartet
(d) All of the above

Papers front. The answers were all, of course, "d." And that leads us to the Spotlight. This week, I present to you the jazz stylings of two, three or four gentlemen from Chicago, IL. Rob Mazurek and Chad Taylor, who play (minimally) cornet and percussion (respectively) and dabble with electronics and vibraphones are sometimes joined by additional players to create a jazz that is sometimes sparse and thin, sometimes full and rich, always heavy with frenzied improv cornet, and always percussively fun. Their occasional partners in crime are guitarist Jeff Parker and bassist Noel Kupersmith. The players have also assisted the legendary Joan of Arc in putting on an expansive live show.More information on their history and sound on their label, Thrill Jockey, which has released their six most recent releases (two thirds of their discography). Unfortunately, I don't have the first CD, "Playground," so I'll just be posting the first track from their last eight full-lengths. Great study music for all you students, and great headphone music, either way.




Chicago Underground Trio's "Othello" from Possible Cube
Chicago Underground Trio's "Quail" from Flamethrower
Chicago Underground Duo's "The Pursued" from 12° of Freedom
Chicago Underground Duo's "Blue Sparks from Her, and the Scent of Lightning" from Synesthesia
Chicago Underground Quartet's "Tunnel Chrome" from Chicago Underground Quartet
Chicago Underground Duo's "Micro Exit" from Axis and Alignment
Chicago Underground Trio's "Protest" from Slon
Chicago Underground Duo's "Falling Awake" from In Praise of Shadows

Thanks everyone. I'll hit you with the new sh*t pronto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home