Friday, March 03, 2006

grand montreal / of buffet

First off, I've had several Of Montreal albums in my collection for a while now, but it wasn't until recently receiving "The Gay Parade" that my true realization of how exceptional Kevin Barnes, et al. really are, continuously. This week, I've received no less (and no more) than four Of Montreal compact discs. Three have just been re-released by - you guessed it - Polyvinyl. The most recent, which arrived today, is "If He Is Protecting Our Nation Then Who Will Protect Big Oil, Our Children?" This being the first one I've chosen to wrap my ears and mind around. The whole thing is so solid, but it's the two final tracks that really lifted my chest and put a smile on my face. How many Of Montreal songs don't do that, though? So anyway, the first of the two will inevitably conjure up names in your head until you sing your own friends' names rather than the suggested ones. It's all J+M for me. The second represents my soft spot for anything related to Christmas. I'm almost ready for Christmas music again. And seriously; why rent?

Of Montreal's "Friends of Mine" and "Christmas Isn't Safe For Animals"



This week has been showered with a slightly different genre of music for me as well. I had heard just one song from Grand Buffet not so long ago upon noticing their presence on a Polyvinyl CMJ Showcase poster. I was taken aback, but not as far aback as when I found their CD (with DVD) in Toledo for five dollars. I proceeded to blast the (what I've taken to calling) ridicuhip-hop for most of the packed-car drive to Lansing, MI. And oh, was it worth it. The tongue-in-cheek satire of two of the standout tracks of "Five Years Of Fireworks" did it for me, and hopefully they'll grow on you as Matt and Nate (awwhhh yeah) did on me.

Grand Buffet's "Oh My God You're Weird" and "Americus (Religious Right Rock)"


Until next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home