Friday, March 03, 2006

the f(w)i(o)rst.

I once created my own "blog" a few summers ago. I had an 'mp3 of the day' theme, but I would also create image maps, descriptions, tables of contents and an excessive amount of bonus songs each day. It eventually degenerated into a 'cover song of the day' site. I particularly recall posting Vitamin C's take on the Strokes' "Last Nite." Vitamin C would later go on to become a pivotal part of the WB's Superstar USA contest. She and I both loved Mario. I digress.

I'm excited to make some kind of contribution to this world. I've been visiting regularly some of these new-fangled blogs. My home page may as well be set to Matt's "You Ain't No Picasso." That coveted spot, however, belongs to Polyvinyl Record Co., the record label that most coninuously offers music that I thoroughly enjoy.

My intent here is to share with any interested party all (or most, as time allows) of the things I am into, excited about, or maybe even loathe in the world of music and occaisonally film, television, etc. I will try to not let a post go by without an incentive for you to come back in the form of (at least one) song from the wwworld and/or my record collection.

And thusly, I begin...
(Remember, all songs are of the Rightclickus Saveasius species.)

Page France's "A Dozen Dimes" (The first up. The first down.)
This has to be the first song I post, because it was the first song I ever heard from Page France, on a mix that my marvelous girlfriend made me on April 25, 2005. I believe this song to be unreleased, and I believe this song to be beautiful. I drove over four hundred miles last weekend to see Page France with Anathallo in Lansing and it was well worth it. Page France's first two albums are available at Fall Records as well as their first two EPs of 2006, "Pear" and "Sister Pinecone." They're shipping by Monday and that thrills me. And trust me, more from Anathallo soon.

Gregory & The Hawk's "The Bolder Thing To Do"
G&TH were also introduced to me by the girlfriend (the very same that contends she despises talking about music). I bought their first and self-titled EP from theirspace. and can't believe how charming it is. Occasionally it makes me think about Lisa Loeb, and honestly, what's wrong with that?

Decibully's "Love of Everything"
I very simply love Decibully. "City of Festivals" was one of the first Polyvinyl records that clinched their status as best label for me. This remarkable song was named after the moniker that Bobby Burg of Make Believe & Joan of Arc takes on as a solo artist.

Stars' "This Charming Man"
WARNING LIGHT: I'm already turning this into a cover song blog. If the songs are from bands this excellent covering such excellent songs from such equally or more excellent bands, I'm alright with it. What I'm not alright with: Using one adjective exclusively. Bear with me.

Bishop Allen's "Psycho Killer"
WARNING LIGHT: Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. This song is representative of two recurring elements of this initial post. It is a cover, of the repetetive adjective variety. It is also a first. The first time I saw Bishop Allen was in Chicago, alongside Make Believe and Mates of State (and several amazing friends). While I was all but smitten with the foursome from the start of their set, it was when they began their version of Talking Heads' "Psycho Killer" that I realized how little time I wanted Christian, Christian, Justin and Jack to not be filling my aural orifices. "Charm School" was so highly praised, and for good reason. Their follow-up "Clementines" was originally to be released on Polyvinyl in 2005, but the band's perfectionism and re-recording (according to Chris of We Are Scientists) caused the album to be delayed to the possible 2006 timeframe. But in the meantime, the boys and girl will be releasing one EP monthly, and the results are already magnificent. January was spectacular and February should be arriving any day now.

Thanks for reading, anyone.
I'll work out all the kinks soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home