Saturday, March 04, 2006

cheer up, charlie.

I really enjoy Skyscraper Magazine and Kevin and Melanie of Music Saves for pointing me in it's direction. I believe it to be where I first heard about Chin Up Chin Up's "We Should Have Never Lived Like We Were Skyscrapers." The title, yes, is coincidental. I stumbled upon the cd at a used book store where I tend to stumble upon many fantastic things (often months before they're scheduled to be released), and it melted me immediately. Important to know is that on Valentine's Day of '04, while c.u. c.u. were recording their debut LP, their bassist, Chris Saathoff, was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver. The band took time to consider the futiiuure and decided to finish the music using Chris' four-track practice demos. The result is breathtaking. I really do consider this a vital addition to my (and anyone else's) collection. They are currently at work on a follow-up which will be released by the ever-growing Suicide Squeeze. Speaking of which, they'll be touring with new label-mates Minus The Bear. Justin and I (minimally) will be heading up to MI to see the magic. More from Suicide Squeeze's new releases from The Metal Hearts and Crystal Skulls soon.

I recognize that I tend to describe my relationship to music rather than offer helpful descriptions or reviews. I'll do my best to alter that trend, however I'm not entirely sure I'd enjoy it as much. You'll get what you get, I suppose.

Without further ado, I present to you two songs from Chin Up Chin Up's "We Should Have Never Lived Like We Were Skyscrapers."


"Why Is My Sleeping Bag A Ghetto Muppet?"
I've got a soft spot for this sentiment. I feel no shame in admitting my emotional movement from Zach Braff's pool speech in "Garden State," and this song hits me the same way. This song could be seventeen minutes long and I'd be chanting every second.

"Collide The Tide"
There's just something about the way every element of this song fits together. Period.

I'm off to see "Block Party." Not Bloc Party. I'm unironically excited about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home