Sunday, March 05, 2006

.y-g-o-l-o-h-c-y-s-p

I found Kid Koala maybe seven years ago during a phase of "this looks cool. I'll buy it." I was dumbfounded. I had never really heard good scratching before. not only that, but with a sense of humor and an overall hip feel. If you're unfamiliar with Kid Koala, let me know. I may dedicate some space to him, alone. But for now I wanted to showcase his Canadian live hip-hop funk band because - let's face it -with just those genre descriptions, you're interested. It shouldn't be surprising that I'm posting something like this after seeing "Dave Chappelle's Block Party" yesterday. I don't care who you are are or what scene you're a part of; mainstream rap and/or MTV-style rap is generally awful, but good hip-hop is good hip-hop. Kid Koala's band is Bullfrog. They released a full-length debut in 2001 and I still bring it out regularly. What I present to you are two sections of this perfect party (I don't party as hard as Andrew W.K.) disc that display what essentially makes up Bullfrog and that you won't be able to get out of your head.


"Ya Ya"
Nonsensical chorus. Completely agreeable. Unshakable melody. You're in this one for the long haul. This is much more the funk from Bullfrog. The hip-hop is skipped. The turntables dumbed down. It's not quintessential, but that doesn't make it any less essential. If you dislike repetition and horns, start with the next track.

"Reverse Psychology"
Nonthreatening vocals. Cleverly worded. Unmistakable fun. You're bobbing your head and msirking. This is much more the hip-hop party Bullfrog. It's another chorus that you just won't be able to stop yourself from mouthing for the rest of the day.

I hope you guys have fun with these. That's what they're all about. I recognize now that they don't showcase Eric San (Kid Koala) immensely. I'll make that up to you later on.

Word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home