Wednesday, March 15, 2006

because i miss my friend of the same name.

All that new stuff gets another day of limbo as I received the vinyl version of the new Maritime album, "We, the Vehicles." I defy you to not let almost any given Maritime song define your good mood and light-chested (describing the physical 'light-hearted' elated feeling, not those of you in A cups) smile. Davey von Bohlen, one of the original members of the undeniably influential young Chicago band Cap'n Jazz, fronted The Promise Ring for the better part of a decade. The Promise Ring's popularity and significance - albeit deserved - should not have faded the way it seemed to. I believe their final LP, "Wood/Water," to be their finest work. It's also the work that made Maritime inevitable. I'm sharing with you two tracks from the new LP; nothing that hasn't been at your fingertips, but as the CD isn't out until next month, I can't rip you my favorites. You can check out two more. on Maritime's MySpace account. Davey's most frequent partner in crime since the fall of Cap'n Jazz has been Dan Didier. The two of them (alongside instrumental Crouton god and Pele member Chris Rosenau) played as Vermont, and I'm including one of my favorite ballads from their second release, "Calling Albany." It's repetetive, but that just means you'll keep repeating a smile.
Do yourself a favor and head to Flameshovel for Maritime's latest and a whole bunch of other solid stuff (some of which may be coming to you via me soon).
Enjoy.



Maritime's "Calm"
& "Parade of Punk Rock T-Shirts"
Vermont's "Ballad of Larry Bird"

I'm off to play "War of the Monsters!" And I need to see my Davey soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home