Thursday, September 28, 2006

i will hang my head low.

It's relatively difficult to believe that there are just a few days until The Decemberists' Crane Wife will be available in every major and independent record store between the Pacific and Atlantic. They've been number two on hundreds of lists, right below Neutral Milk Hotel (due to their infamous state), for several years and many people wrote them off the minute they signed to a major label. I said it just yesterday: If the label treats them right, then more power to the both of them. I'll guarantee that The Crane Wife outsells Her Majesty within months, regardless of superiority. And the truth may just be that The Crane Wife would have been the same album if it were released by Kill Rock Stars or even Hush.
My points are contradictory. I do appreciate the ideals of independent labels and artists, but I can't find a reason to stop enjoying a band after they sign to a major. Really, in the specific case of Colin Meloy and The Decemberists, they deserve it. They've been working diligently for years creating some of the absolute best music in my (and most others') record collection. With the right contract, it may be time for the band to continue to do what they love to do, how they love to do it, and become significantly more successful with it.
The actual scoop on The Crane Wife is, as best I can tell, that it's solid Decemberists material. Less bombastic than the recent epic full-lengths, The Crane Wife does boast two songs that rival "The Mariner's Revenge Song" in both length and story-telling. It's probably a better bookend companion to Castaways & Cutouts, but that's just me talking. I can't not say that I find less pleasure in "Summersong" and "The Perfect Crime" than most Decemberists songs. I do however quite enjoy "Shankill Butchers" and the title track.
Colin Meloy will be gracing us with his presence for years to come. Let's stay by his side, lest the best is yet to come. And maybe, just maybe, more solo cover EPs.



The Decemberists' "The Crane Wife 3"
from The Crane Wife

Colin Meloy's "Charlie"
from Colin Meloy Sings Trad. Arr. Shirley Collins



COUNTDOWN TO CHRISTMAS: EIGHTYSEVEN
Of Montreal's "Christmas Isn't Safe for Animals"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home