Saturday, September 23, 2006

the autumn night we realized we were falling out of love.

It's been more than six months now since I started no one is awake, more or less, on a whim. And while putting this event off for a couple days, hoping that something grandiose would put itself together, I now celebrate 200 posts. That averages just about exactly one post per day, and I'm quite proud of that. It's been a genuinely enjoyable experience to force myself to either discover new music, put into words my feelings on my favorite artists or albums, or simply open the ears of a new listener to any artist on any given day. I'm flattering myself. I have a fairly small (yet thankfully loyal) group of regular readers. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for being a part of however many of 200 posts you've seen.
A dusty acoustic guitar, a keyboard stored in a garage, a long-neglected trumpet, and several lost or disregarded notebooks are a testament for my undying passion for music. No, it's not a unique trait, but my inability to focus on contributing something to the culture has been my defining trait. Maybe a blog about music isn't anything significant in this world either, but it's the most I've focused on doing something on my own. I flatter myself that you, the reader, is even interested enough to read all of this self-indulgent commentary with any sentiment. But to be fair, in a world where everyone s blogging, I feel great pleasure that this, no one is awake, is my blog.
Thank you very much for reading, downloading, listening, and coming back. You are the future of no one is awake. Start letting me know how you feel about what's going on here. Let me know what you're having trouble taking out of your ipod, car stereo, cd player, record player, or head. Let me know, whether or not the featured music sparked your attention or not. Let me know who you are and why you come back here. I do this for you faceless readers, but you hold the power to make yourself heard.

Yesterday was the first day of Fall, the air has already gotten cooler and crisper (quietly requesting that Transatlanticism proudly resurrect itself) and we are almost exactly three months away from Christmas. I, for the most part, spare you the amount of Christmas music I'd like to share at any given day throughout the year, but for the next three months, it will be unavoidable. In fact, I hereby vow to share at least one holiday-inspired song every day leading up to December 25th. Don't worry. I'll do it. Whether you like it or not. ...Please like it.

For now, just enjoy a few songs from the 2001 Polyvinyl Records sampler (three of which were otherwise unreleased), and your first in a series
of ninety-three days of Christmas/Holiday music.



American Football's "Never Meant"
Matt Pond PA's "A New Part of Town"
Pele's "Gas the Nutsy"
& Aloha's "Warsaw"
from Re Direction: A Polyvinyl Sampler


Death Cab or Cutie's "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"

2 Comments:

Blogger Barry Lutz said...

Hooray for 200 posts!

Hooray for persuading me to pick up Hotel Lights, Margot and the Nuclear So and So's, The M's, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, The Snake The Cross The Crown, and so on.

I still listen to the Domotic "These Days" cover.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep up the good work and the great music, really enjoying your blog ;)

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home