Monday, September 18, 2006

the words burn my soul.

After wrapping up their tour with Mates of State, this quartet of pop over-achievers will head out to the west coast with Bishop Allen. Their third album, Drowaton, is a successful blend creation of complex and compelling "bubblegum psych." The album wasn't, honestly, what I was expecting at first listen. Then, days later, I forgot what CD was in my player, and was amazed. I couldn't remember what it was and couldn't bear to stop it long enough to take it out and remember.
I have a nasty habit of "burying the hook" and for that I apologize. The band is Starlight Mints. They are a part of the current Barsuk powerhouse and if you've managed to get through nearly six months since the release of Drowaton without it, take this as your warning that your next six months could be a great deal better.
Drowaton is "something very grand: one marvelous piece of orchestrated, catchy surrealism after another."



Starlight Mints' "Pumpkin"
& "Inside of Me"
from Drowaton


Ten minutes of "Studio 60 On Sunset Strip" have aired and I am in love. The Aaron Sorkin of "Sports Night" is back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home