Tuesday, November 07, 2006

will nature make a man of me yet?

Yesterday's tribute to the discography of Rainer Maria was the closest no one is awake has come to a Tuesday Spotlight in quite a while. So I refer you to the plethora of songs immediately below this for that reach back to the days of the Spotlight. I won't rule them out for the future.
I could cite today as the start of a new feature, but I know it will be difficult to continue with any regularity.
Today's focus is one of the most popular songs in The Smiths' catalog. Released as Johnny Marr and Morrissey's second single just over twenty-three years ago, "This Charming Man" serves as a quintessential Smiths song, representative of Marr's jangly guitar, and Morrissey's characteristic lyrics and vocals. "This Charming Man" is a Smiths mainstay, and any fan knows it by heart. Fortunately, some of the most influenced fans have become legitimate musicians themselves and so we have many additions to my much loved musical world of cover songs.
I won't pull any punches. This is just an innovative way for me to feature Stars' rendition of the song for a second time. This song was among the first I shared when I started no one is awake just over seven months ago. It would be nearly impossible for me to enjoy going back to Stars' Nightsongs any more than I do, when I get the urge to break it out.
What else can you do but play this song through over and over, covered in vastly different ways by a few influential groups?



The Smiths' "This Charming Man" from The Smiths
Stars' "This Charming Man" from Nightsongs LP
Braid's "This Charming Man" from Movie Music
Death Cab For Cutie's "This Charming Man" from You Can Play These Songs With Chords



CURRENT NUMBER OF UNLIT BULBS IN CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHT COUNTDOWN: 47
Peggy Lee's "Happy Holiday"
Clearly & The Mainstream's "Christmas Is Coming"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Smiths happen to be a favorite of mine.
love, Marty

12:14 PM  
Blogger Susan Dziadosz said...

That cover by Stars is amazing. I love it too.

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home