Wednesday, October 25, 2006

fingerings lost in the motions of our hands.

Included in yesterday's spirit-rejuvenating loot was an album that I had every intention on buying new from my dearly missed friends at Music Saves, but at $2.50, how am I supposed to turn down Califone's [Roots & Crowns]? It was obviously a wise investment and I strongly suggest you make the same investment, even if you are forced to spend five times what I lucked out in paying. The latest from the legends in their own right continues their credential building with an overall subdued, divine collection of wonderfully orchestrated songs of equal parts unequivocal bliss and heartaching warmth.
When deciding on whether or not to risk buying an album from a band I don't know, I find myself finding the list of instruments played, and had I not already been sold on Califone, I would have made my decision based on the following:

Joe Adamik [drum kit, bass clarinet, wurlitzer, piano, organ, vibraphone, dr. sample, bells, melodica, prepared metaliphone]
Jim Becker [violin, banjo, vocals, guitar, bass, loops, electronics, percussion, xylophone, cajun accordian, mandolin, kalimba]
Ben Massarella [batterie,; lensdrum, pistons, zuni rattles, shu{3}lai{2}bao{3} treasure counting stick, bronze fork, gourds, shakers, glass, oak chimes, ribbon crasher]
Tim Rutili [vocals, guitars, piano, electronics, field recordings, organ, synthesizer, banjo, loops, bowed balalaika]

Brian Deck [synth, electronic manipulation, vibraphone, organ]
Michael Krassner [harmonica, loops, electronics]
Wil Hendricks [bass]
Alan Scalpone [trumpet]
Michael McGinley [trombone]
Anthony Gilbert [viola]

I'm sorry. Banjos and gourds?! Sign me right up. Califone is predictably abstract, and while they occasionally get too into the groove to remember how they got there, they are always able to take a breath and start again, beautifully.





Califone's "Pink & Sour"
& "Spider's House"
from [Roots & Crowns]




A NICE FAT ROUND 60 DAYS UNTIL SANTA FOLLOWS THE STAR TO THE MANGER
Dave Lawson's "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home