Sunday, October 22, 2006

she's going to smile to make you frown.

The southern half of my town was inexplicably without internet from Friday evening until late Saturday. Truth be told, I'm relieved to have a legitimate excuse for having not been updating all weekend. I've been spending quite a bit of time with some truly great people, and some truly great music. I spent a fraction of what I could have on some fantastic finds. I've finally let The Velvet Underground and Nico wow me, and two Morrissey albums and a Smiths record added to the exploration of days passed. I got a few more things that I will hear and potentially pass along to you, but for now I've been in more a reminiscent mood than an exploratory one.
So, before I catch you up on some Christmas goodies, allow me to take you back to March of 1967, when Lou Reed, John Cale, Sterling Morrison, Maureen Tucker, and Nico offered to the world an album that would influence hipsters and nerds for the next forty years. Produced by Andy Warhol, The Velvet Underground & Nico captured the essence of this powerhouse's performances. Of which The San Francisco Chronicle once said, "Shatteringly contemporary-the electronic music, loud enough the room and mind vibrate in unison-Nico, the beautiful flaxen-haired girl, the noise, the lights, the film and the dances build to a screeching crescendo."
Usually high on notable 'greatest albums of all time' lists, the phallic album was originally shunned by many radio stations and stores due to it's references to drugs, prostitution, S&M, transvestites, et al. As tends to be the case, time would prove this hesitance foolish and shameful.



The Velvet Underground & Nico's
"Femme Fatale"
&
"There She Goes Again"
from The Velvet Underground & Nico



CHRISTMAS IS HAPPENING IN A MERE 63 DAYS
The City on Film's "A Christmas Waltz (O Holy Blanket)"
Canada's
"Little Drummer Boy"
Mike Spence & Chris Hatfield's
"All I Want For Christmas Is You"

1 Comments:

Blogger Barry Lutz said...

Which Morrissey albums did you explore?

Whichever ones they are, they came to you at the perfect time in your life.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home