Monday, October 16, 2006

i've made big steps with small strides.

I made the first no one is awake mix. Most of it is not anything you haven't heard before. It's a mood-based mix with a hopeful finish. I don't feel compelled to share what has been going on in my personal life. I'm all but unsatisfied that the first mix I've made for this site bears it's emotions on it's digital sleeve. In any case, the entire reason I put this together was to properly display Menomena's "Gay A," a song only seeing release on their Wet and Rusting EP. The wildly different versions of "Wet and Rusting," bonus songs, and album artwork make this EP/single a wise investment to whet your appetite before Friend and Foe is unleashed in January. You can now purchase the EP through Barsuk Records.
The setting of my first hearing "Gay A" was a long aimless cold drive alone, spent engaged in thought and a less than positive outlook. "Gay A" grabbed me with it's baritone sax and bells and inspiring ideal and turned me around. I spent the duration of the evening in a serenely peaceful state, enjoying having several hours to myself.
Obviously, every other song on the first no one is awake mix is quite good. It's far from the endlessly uplifting Fall mix I set out to make, but I think that gives it more poignancy. I hope you enjoy it, and I'll make up for the lost days in Christmas tunes later on.
Thank you for reading and listening to no one is awake.

The Brothers Creeggan's "You Walked Out"
The Album Leaf's "Into The Sea"
Cass McCombs' "I Went To The Hospital"
Cub Country's "Could Be The Moon"
Now It's Overhead's "Estranged"
The One AM Radio's "I Think This Is My Exit"
Ryan Adams' "Please Do Not Let Me Go"
Chin Up Chin Up's "Why Is My Sleeping Bag A Ghetto Muppet?"
Owen's "Bad News"
Blake Zweig's "Better Without You"
Beck's "The Golden Age"
Menomena's "Gay A"
Headlights' "Centuries"
Aloha's "Let Your Head Hang Low"
Matt Pond PA's "Halloween"


As always, your thoughts are welcome and appreciated. Since this is not the Fall mix I set out to make, let's hear some of your favorite Fall albums and songs.

March and April's songs have now been removed, with the exception of Tuesday Spotlights. At least May, June, July, and August will be removed by the end of this month. Take advantage while you can.

2 Comments:

Blogger Barry Lutz said...

I present to you my custom-made fall mix, inspired by chilly nights indoors with your love. Put the TV on low, play Scrabble. Sit on the couch together and read something. Take a nap on the couch together wrapped in that big blanket you've got.

n. Lannon - The Catch
Nedelle - Heatstroke
Hayden - Woody
Decibully - Skipping Over Goodbye
matt pond PA - Counting Song
Clem Snide - The Curse of Great Beauty
Lullaby For The Working Class - The Wounded Spider
David Garza - Baptiste
Richard Buckner - On Traveling (from the S/T live acoustic album, not from Devotion & Doubt)
Aloha - Ferocious Love
The Boggs - On North Wood Ground
Superwolf - My Home Is The Sea
Damien Jurado - Johnny Go Riding
The Twilight Singers - Follow You Down

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my favorite fall albums, or rather, those that evoke an innate sense of fall to me, are songs:ohia's axxess & ace, american football s/t, and the lawrence arms' greatest story ever told. maybe because they spent a lot of time playing in my ears last fall...? regardless, listening to them conjures up fallen leaves and crisp nights.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home