Saturday, June 17, 2006

when i talk it's like suicide.

I've mentioned thoroughly enjoying last year's Palm Reader, ZZZZ'a sax and electric piano driven post-punk no-wave dance romp. It seems quite obviously after-the-fact, since the quartet disbanded a few months after their only album was released, but that doesn't mean it's any less a positive attribute to my collection and, more so than not, that's what drives this blog (now 100 posts old). Members of Sweep the Leg Johnny, Swing Kids and Tekulvi came together with classically trained pianist Ellen Bunch with no preconceived notions about what their intentions were and no pressure to record or tour. What they did was both.
I try very hard to keep current with music, sometimes to the point where I never get to thoroughly enjoy much. But there are times when I'll keep the same six discs in my car stereo and only listen to two of them for weeks at a time. I have The Smiths and Acid House Kings to thank for that. My point, however, is that with ZZZZ already retired from the world, it would be easy for Palm Reader to be forgotten, but I'd like to say that I will remember and dance around ridiculously every time I do.
Described as a Tim Burton film soundtrack on speed, I recommend you posthumously take to ZZZZ's one and only eight song album, which is similar to a continuously forward-moving Drums & Tuba. Echoing alto sax, electrifying electric piano, dueling male/female vocals that occasionally fizz right over the top, and non-stop action-filled hooks will have you sweating and wondering what the hell genre it is you're dancing to, anyway.



ZZZZ's "Assassination Polka"
& "Bandit King & Queen"
from Palm Reader

ZZZZ's "Forget It"
from Live on WLUW 88.7 FM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home