Sunday, October 01, 2006

anything worth doing is worth getting hurt for.

For quite a while I've owned five albums by The Faint and have no lasting impression of any one of them. I may have not even listened to all of one or two or three of them. I don't dislike The Faint, but until yesterday I've found no real attraction to their original brand of electronic/dance/punk/rock. Today I made the decision to make a conscious effort to go back and listen to Media, Blank-Wave Arcade, Danse Macabre, and even Wet From Birth.
Why would someone so preoccupied with pop and indie-lectual artists make such forced plans to listen to the back catalog of such a dark, quasi-industrial, dance-punk band? There would be almost no reason were this individual not so obsessive compulsive and prone to being a completist with collections. I've always burst with pride about my complete collection of Polyvinyl releases, save for two initial cassettes, but my hubris about my owning more than half of Saddle Creek's catalog has come under recent self-criticism. A recent resurgence in Saddle Creek interest, caused by fantastic albums by Eric Bachmann and Now It's Overhead led me to finally pick up Saddle Creek 50, a two-disc collection of 22 songs by 11 artists, half of which were already available upon 50's release in early 2003.
Eleven unreleased songs finally sounded like a worthwhile ten dollar investment, and it still might be. I can't tell because I can't seem to get much further than the second track on the first disc.
The Faint's "Take Me to the Hospital" was already well-known by the time I got to it. It's been downloaded nearly 200,000 times from the band's MySpace page. But it was new to me early this weekend and has delighted me ever since.



The Faint's "Take Me to the Hospital"
from Saddle Creek



CHRISTMAS: EIGHTY-FOUR DAYS LEFT
Snowden's "Christmas Time Is Here"

1 Comments:

Blogger Barry Lutz said...

This one gives me goosebumps whenever I hear it.

If they had an album comprised of this kind of song, I'd be all over it like a fat kid on cake.


I like cake.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home