Tuesday, May 09, 2006

54º 40' or fight!

I was personally introduced to the wonderous 54º 40' or Fight! label through 31 Knots, a band that Polyvinyl Records picked up in 2005. Little did I know that they were simply phenomenal label-hopping. I have recently disocvered a slew of bands that call or have called 54º 40' or Fight! home that are simply stunning. Rather than spend page upon page with the history of and/or Pitchfork opinion of each band, I'm just going to force you to decide which ones you like best. I've already narrowed it down to nine of twenty-four (after spending a day and a lost post trying to be all-inclusive). But there is a catch...
For this post, you have to tell me which band you like best. You will be able to use the song I post for each ensemble as well as the website of and/or MySpace for said group. Additionally, songs for each band can be found on
54º 40' or Fight!'s website. I've taken advantage of the site's use of 'Recommended If You Like...' but don't let that bias you too much. You can post your decision as a comment or e-mail me your input at devoutinfidel@hotmail.com. Results and a proper introduction to the winning band will be posted this weekend.
And away we go.



31 Knots' "Played Out For Punchlines" from It Was High Time to Escape (MySpace / RIYL: Gang of Four, Minutemen, Sweep The Leg Johnny)

The Building Press' "If You Think I Can't Get To You... YOU'RE WRONG!" from Young Money (MySpace / Website / RIYL: Deerhoof, June of '44, 31 Knots)

Channing Cope's "Next Year" from Sugar In Our Blood (MySpace / RIYL: Bedhead, Shipping News, Karate)

The Conformists' "Tax Deduction" from Three Hundred (MySpace / Website / RIYL: French Toast, Shellac, US Maple)

Dilute's "Rock And Or Roll" from The Gypsy Valentine Curve (MySpace / RIYL: American Football, Drive Like Jehu, Modest Mouse)

Mandarin's "Eye On Time" from Fast>Future>Present (MySpace / Website / RIYL: Yo La Tengo, Bedhead, The Pixies)

Pseudosix's "Run Rebel" from Days of Delay (MySpace / Website / RIYL: Califone, My Morning Jacket, Songs: Ohia)

Ticonderoga's "Over The Hill" from Ticonderoga (MySpace / Website / RIYL: Pavement, Tortoise, Calexico)

Valina's "Entel Echo" from Epode (MySpace / Website / RIYL: Shellac, 31 Knots, Fugazi)



Did You Know?:
54º 40' or Fight! kick-started the remarkable The Double (who will be in Cleveland with some band called We Are Pies On Wrists or something).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My vote goes to Valina. I dig it. Ticonderoga comes in second.

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As much as I love 31 knots, I would not say they have my vote. Instead I say that I really like Ticonderoga. It reminded me of the weakerthans [a band that has the ability to make me smile like a little fat kid in a candy store]. I would then like to cast my second vote to Mandarin, not only because it is a sweet chinese language, but I also really like the music and melody.

It was very hard to choose. I like these interactive blogs.
Love, Marty

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's too late to vote, but I pick Longmont Potion Castle. I mean, Pseudosix.

-Ashley.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home